I have been working tons for the last few weeks. I just finished my last work obligation here for a long while and I feel such relief. Sigh. I can breathe. I did a great job and I am proud of myself. I proved to myself that I could. I am the kind of person that always comes through when I am given the chance. But, when someone doubts me, I start to doubt myself and then I can spiral into a very bad place. My mom asked me last night, "why do you need your clients to love you?" and it made me think. I don't anymore. In the last few months, I realized that I cannot control the drama and emotional turmoil surrounding my job when it comes to a client's particular relationship with their family. Often, when I get blamed for things it is because of dysfunctional family relationships. I have started to step back from things ever so slightly and the results have been positive. The less I become invested in shit that isn't my business, the better.
Now, for a list of some updates including some big reveals about me:
1. I move in 10 days. I am beginning to pack today.
2. I have been doing really well using a calorie tracker. It is helping me with my hunger cues and knowing when I should stop eating if I do not want to gain weight. Most of my past eating was mindless and emotional, so becoming a bit more familiar with the science behind calories in and calories out actually comforts me (WeightWatchers was the only way I ever lost weight before and I never learned calories, only Points). I feel in control with food for the first time in over 3 years.
3. Big Baby turns three in 2 weeks. I cannot believe how fast time goes. Crush and I are planning to head up to visit Sissy and the family at the beginning of October, more to come on that below.
4. Crush is taking me to NYC to pick out my engagement ring. It is the real reason why we are heading up to see Sissy, but family trumps material things, so the visit comes first. He is familiar with a jeweler there and since he knows I am particular (I will admit, spoiled and obnoxious about this certain thing) he told me that he wants me to love whatever he gets me, so I can chose it. Also, he likes the idea of buying my ring in the city I was born in. I was born in Manhattan and lived on the East Coast for the first third of my life.
5. There was a very famous band at the wedding I planned this weekend. Oh yes, if you haven't figured it out, I am a wedding planner. They were SUPER nice and courteous and gentlemanly. Some of their wives are models and they were also very sweet. It made me think, if someone who has won Grammys can have common courtesy, then the people who treat me like shit when I am trying to help them, have no excuse.
6. I am moving to Charleston, South Carolina.
7. It is almost my 1 year anniversary of this blog.
8. I need to work on my resume, website, and get new business cards printed this week. I have been pushing this off until I finished my event this weekend. It is go time.
9. I am going to miss some of my friends here in Chicago more than I thought I would since I am just so excited about getting out of a place that has never been good for me. That is right, the Windy City is where I have spent most of life other than the first third and college. I started bawling yesterday thinking about them. I don't always do a great job letting people into my life, but when I love you, I do for life. This past year, I have made a few new friends that I know will be around forever and it is always comforting to know that friends come and go, but real friends, the ones that are in your heart, well, they stay with you forever.
10. My favorite client (EVER!) bought me a T3 SinglePass Whirl styling wand for a thank you gift after I mentioned I wanted one during a hair trial appointment. Life changing. I now have good hair days in less than 10 minutes. Just wear the glove it comes with. I have burned my hands (and cheek!) a few times trying to get the hang of it.
Hope all is well out there and I will be back to posting regularly this week!